Choosing the right caravan isn’t always easy, especially if you don’t know what you’re looking for.
Researching caravans brands and models can make you feel more confused – especially with caravan terminology and features such as ‘GVM’, ‘Tare’, ‘TBM’ which are terms that may sound foreign to newer travellers or those who have never bought a caravan before. Even the term off-road caravan doesn’t have a standard definition and can vary from manufacturer to manufacture.
When thinking about purchasing a caravan, it all comes down to your travelling preferences – including the type of terrain and conditions you can expect on your trip, plus how long you’d like to travel at a time. Off road caravans are built for safe travel off the beaten track, but some are definitely designed to handle togher terrain than others.
To get you on the right foot when it comes to buying the perfect off road caravan for your needs, we’ve come up with a few tips below.
What should I look for in an off road caravan?
When looking for a caravan, you need to ensure you research caravan models that will suit your needs. Having the bare essentials in your caravan often won’t be enough for your journey, unless you want to make extra stops on the way to your destination. But with so many options, where do you start?
Below are some factors you should start to consider when looking for a caravan:
Having sufficient ground clearance for your offroad caravans is essential. This is so that the main important parts of your caravan are secured tightly so they don’t fall off if you drive on rough terrain.
Investing in an independent suspension system for your own caravan is a must. It will absorb the ‘shock’ that can transfer from driving over a beaten track or road through the coil springs.
Ensuring you have enough solar panels on your caravan will enable you to power the extra features without relying on a generator or making extra stops to charge your van.
Extra water tanks are essential for off-road caravanning. If your caravan has extra storage and water tanks, it will really help with camping off road and having water for various purposes.
Investing in an off road caravan that’s fuel efficient will ensure you’re prepared for the journey and will save you money in the long run.
Having extra shock absorbers will ensure that the ‘shock’ transfer from rough roads won’t impact your caravan too much at the rear of your van.
Ensuring your caravan is fitted properly with a stronger chassis is important. It should be made from high quality steel so your van can withstand rough tracks without being damaged.
Weight distribution for your tow vehicle
Off road caravans should be able to support its weight so that your tow vehicle isn’t straining to support the tare weight. Make sure that you research appropriate offroad caravans that will suit your needs and your tow vehicle – whether it be a ute or other 4WD.
What do I need to know before buying a caravan?
Before you invest in an off road caravan, you need to ask yourself some important questions to make sure you’re making the right decision. While off road caravans are best for going caravanning around the off-grid areas of the country, it’s well worth it to explore your options before your trip.
We’ve come up with some points and questions below that you may not have considered yet:
- Thinking about your towing vehicle – is it strong enough to tow the weight of the caravan? It’s easy to forget this step but it’s essential to check the tow capacity of your car to ensure it’s four wheels can safely support the caravan you intend to buy.
- How long are your trips going to be? Whether it’s a 6 month trip or a few short outback caravan adventures on your mind, you should consider how long you plan to travel around as this makes a big difference on the type of off road caravan that’s suitable for you.
- Where do you plan to go travelling? What terrains or conditions are there? For instance, this could be to sandy beaches, muddy mountain trails, forest regions, and more.
- How much comfort do you prefer? Off road caravans come with a range of features to ensure you experience a superior level of travelling all in the comfort of your caravan. There are features like stylish designs, technologies, as well as ample room – this all depends on how important comfort and convenience is to you.
- How much budget are you working with? Buying a caravan is an investment, but with the right choice it can be the best purchase in your lifetime – bringing new memories of travelling across Australia’s greatest landscapes and unexplored places. Consider how much you’re willing to spend for a lifetime of travelling memories and ensure you pick the right one that’ll last you for years to come.
Get in touch with us today to buy your next off road caravan
Buying an off road caravan isn’t a walk in the park as there are many factors to consider. Generally, people often look for something that is low budget and something that a tow car will be able to carry easily. However, proper research is necessary to understand what individual manufacturers can offer in comparison to finding a dealer.
If you want to travel and explore all the wonders that Australia has to offer, it’s well worth it to do your research and invest in an off road caravan that is right for you. Our team at Fantasy Caravans have years of knowledge about off road caravans and can help you decide on the best option for you. Contact us or get in touch with one of our local dealers today to find out more.